National Water and Sewage Cooperation (NWSC) contractor, Sogea Satom Uganda Limited has abandoned site at Centenary Park citing the ongoing wrangles between Nalongo Estates Limited and KCCA.
NWSC, Executive Director, Silver Mugisha told Parliamentary Committee on Commissions, Statutory Authority and State Enterprise (COSASE) that the decision by the contractor put the Corporation at risk of losing huge sums of money in covering costs.
Mugisha told the committee that the contractor’s decision came after failing to find space to continue with the renovation and construction of sewer lines that are meant to pass through Centenary Park.
However, Nalongo Estate Limited Managing Director Sarah Kizito refuted allegations that they stopped NWSC from continuing with construction work.
Kizito presented pictorial evidence of the on-going construction work by the NWSC at Centenary Park.
“It is not true that NEL is frustrating infrastructural development by NWSC; we have signed an agreement with NWSC, we earlier had agreements with the same people and have had no problems,” Kizito said.
On this, Mugisha told the committee that NEL had in earlier engagements allowed NWSC to go on with construction but later reaching on the ground, Kizito in company of other people blocked them from accessing the central part only allowing them to make use of the smaller area.
Mugisha read to the committee a message from the contractor confirming to him that he had vacated the premises due to obstruction from NEL.
“Confirmed, we shifted yesterday from Centenary Park after having completed all the available sections, waiting for central one, when available,” Read the message.
NWSC loss has already occurred and claims so far amount s to Shs979, 915,048 and is projected to rise exponentially unless the impasse is resolved.
This prompted the committee chairperson Abdul Katuntu to warn that parliament would not tolerate sabotage of public infrastructure, ordering NEL to give way for NWSC to continue with the construction without further obstruction.
Katuntu also summoned the Inspector General of Police (IGP) to appear before the committee on Thursday to ensure NWSC won’t be disrupted while laying sewer lined at Centenary Park.