News

Cattle Compensation, Proper Transport Network Top Museveni’s Lango Plans

President Yoweri Museveni has promised the people of Lango sub region to settle their most pressing needs such as cattle compensation and improve the transport network in the region if voted back into power.

He disclosed this to the NRM leaders in the region on his second day of presidential campaigns which he held in Apac District on Wednesday.

“On issues of Lango, we are going to increase the cattle compensation budget to 50 billion per sub- region (plus Acholi and Teso) so that we settle this matter once and for all,” he said.

This money is meant to compensate 70,000 war claimants whose livestock was lost during the insurgency in 1986.

Reports indicate that people from this region lost a number of livestock during the liberation war that brought President Museveni to power. It is on this basis that he considers to pay them back for their loss.

According to the President, Government will continue the compensation programme but emphasized that this time, they would not use lawyers because some of them were conniving with some people in the Ministry of Finance to cheat the wanainchi and delay the process.

In his address, Museveni also promised to improve on the transport network noting that good road networks in the region will accelerate business between South Sudan and Uganda hence development.

He pointed out that roads like Moroto-Nakapipirit had been well constructed without the need for external borrowing. However, government is also set to upgrade the 191km Rwenkunye-Apac-Lira-Puranga-Acholibur Road.

Loading...

Meanwhile, besides the now functional MV Kyoga-2 Ferry, Museveni said that government will add the Zengebe-Namasale Ferry, as the Acwa Bridge has been completed.

He also tasked the leaders to continue teaching their people about the need to shift from subsistence to commercialized agriculture even as they carry out the mobilization.

His meetings were conducted scientifically as guided by the Electoral Commission and pledged never to divert from them.

“We decided not to conduct mass rallies nor hold processions in these campaigns because it would put the public at risk in light of the raging Covid-19 pandemic,” he said.

Adding: “Our strategy is that I hold meetings with a few leaders who thereafter, together with other party supporters, undertake a house-to-house vote-hunt. We must avoid large gatherings and protect our people.”

 

Tags
Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker