The National Water and Sewerage Corporation yesterday awarded schools that have excelled in the annual school water and sanitation club convention.
Thousands of students from over 200 School in the Western Region took part in the 5th edition of the School water and sanitation clubs convention held at Mbarara University of Science and Technology.
The schools’ convention, a CSR initiative by NWSC is aimed at creating awareness about water, sanitation and the environment among the school going children.
Speaking at the event, Mbarara District RDC Col James Mwesigye appreciated NWSC for the excellent service delivery plans.
“I grew up sharing water with cows in my village. I am happy to note that my village, a former bush now has piped water courtesy of NWSC,” he said
He thanked the corporation for bringing the young children on board to learn more about the water and sanitation sector.
“During the tour of the exhibition, I saw future scientists and innovators who will develop solutions to water and sanitation challenges in Uganda. Sending a message through the young children is sending a message to the nation,” he said.
Mbarara LC.5 Chairman Captain John Bosco Bamuturaki thanked NWSC for the exposure the corporation is giving to the children.
“Giving the young children such important knowledge at an early age is a guarantee that we shall have a responsible generation in the near future,” he said.
He applauded NWSC’s commitment towards the protection of River Rwizi which is a source of life to the people of Mbarara.
NWSC MD Dr. Eng Silver Mugisha said that the corporation is bringing the young children on board to inculcate values of safe water use, environment protection and sanitation promotion for a healthy and responsible generation.
Dr. Silver challenged school administrators who missed this year’s convention to bring their students in the next convention, learn and outcompete the winners this year with new water and sanitation solutions
He added that the CSR is not only aimed at educating the children but a wholesome approach towards changing the attitude of the young generation towards the water and sanitation sector.
“We are building a responsible generation and citizens that will take care of our environment, “he said
SWAS Patron and the Deputy Managing Director Finance and Corporate strategy, Mrs Sylvia Alinaitwe Tumuhairwe pledged a bigger convention next year which will include new sector innovations exhibited by the children, a water walk across the country among others, all aimed at creating awareness.
Mbarara Area NWSC General Manager Mr Ekanya appreciated the support from the local leadership in the Western region, parents, teachers and school administrator towards the SWAS programme
The students exhibited innovations and technology at the exhibition space, presented water and Sanitation poems, skits, plays, drama, songs aimed at protecting the environment, in water and Sanitation.
Full list of winners
- Primary water and Sanitation Quiz
2nd runner Up-Masindi Army P/S (500,000 shs)
1st Runner up- Ibanda Town P/S (1.million shs)
Winner- St. Jude P/S Hoima (1.5million million shillings)
Secondary School water and sanitation quiz
2nd runner up – St. Agnes Girls SS (500,000 shs)
1st Runner up- Mbarara SS (1million shs)
Winner- Bright Academy SS (1.5million)
Water, Sanitation and Technology/Innovations
2nd runner up -Parental Care Nursery & P/S (Shs500,000)
1st Runner up- Kitakuuka P/S
Winner- Little Angles Primary School (Shs1million )
2nd runner up- Mabarara High School (Shs500,000 )
1st Runner up- Kigezi High school (Shs1million )
- Winner-Bweranyangi Girls’ SSS (Shs1.5million )
Water and Sanitation Essay writing Competition
2nd runner up- Mother Care Preparatory School (Shs500,000 )
1st Runner up- St. Kaggwa Boarding P/S (Shs 1million)
Winner- Real Quality Primary School (Shs1.5million )
2nd runner up- Rukoni Greenhill SS (Shs500,000 )
1st Runner up- Bweranyangi Girls’ SS(Shs1million )
Winner- St.Agnes Girls SS (Shs1.5million )
Best School Water and sanitation community impact Campaign
- 2nd runner up- Ikirah Education Center (Shs500,000 )
- 1st Runner up- Little Angles P/S (Shs1million )
- Winner- Parental Care (1million )
- 2nd runner up- St. Gertrude Girls’ vocational SS (500,000 )
- 1st Runner up- Bweranyangi Girls’ SSS (1million )
- Winner- St. Agnes Girls SSS (1.5million )
Water and Sanitation Skits
- 2nd runner up- St.Jude P/S Hoima (500,000 )
- 1st runner up- Mbarara Junior School (1million )
- Winner- Parental Care Nursery & P/S (1.5million )
- 2nd runner up- Mbarara High School (500,000 )
- 1st runner up- St. Maria Goretti Girl’s school(1million)
- Winner-Bweranyangi Girls’ SSS (1.5million )
Best water/sanitation poems
- 2nd runner up-Kitakuuka P/S (500,000 )
- 1st runner Up- Mbarara Municipal school (1million )
- Winner- St Jude PS Hoima (1.5million)
- 2nd runner up-St Dominic Savio- (500,000)
- 1st runner up-Nyaka Vocational SS (1million )
- Winner- Kibubura Girls SS (1.5million )
Best Actor Secondary School
- Jjuko Abubakali- Kakungulu Memorial
Best Actress Secondary Schools
- Kebirungi Esther- St Maria Goretti Girls SS
Overall Winners-Primary Schools
- Overall- St.Jude Primary School
- 1st Runner Up-Masindi Army Day P/S
- 2nd Runner Up-Kitakuuka P/S
Overall Winners-Secondary Schools
- Overall- Bweranyangi Girl’s SSS
- First Runner up-Immaculate Heart Girls’ School
- 2nd runner up-Mbarara High School