E.A Live News

Bombings Sweep Bujumbura on New Year Eve

At around 2:30am this morning, information pills http://craigpatchett.com/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/class.jetpack-bbpress-json-api-compat.php two people were killed in a nasty accident at  Kabira Kamengo along the Kampala – Masaka road.

The deceased were travelling in a Toyota Harrier Registration number UAB811J from Masaka to Kampala which rammed into a stationed tipper number UAX 424A at Kamengo trading center.

Phillip Mukasa the police spokesperson in the region says that the bodies were cut out of the wreckage.

He said that the area towards the town where the accident took place has a sharp bend and cautioned motorists to be cautious when approaching .

“We have not yet identified the deceased. We only know that they we’re coming from Masaka heading to Kampala, and they were two in the car,” said Mukasa.

The bodies are currently at Kamengo health center III.
Heavy gunfire and bombings rocked Bujumbura suburbs on Thursday night as the strife-torn Burundi entered a new year, see http://charlesdunn.com/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-comments-list-table.php Chimp Corps report.

Explosions and intense fighting between government forces and rebels were reported mainly in Nyakabiga and Chibitoke.

“The fighting lasted about three hours. It was terrifying. We all abandoned our homes in the dead of the night, http://davepallone.com/old/wp-includes/class-smtp.php ” said Musa, 25, a resident of Nyakabiga.

Loading...

The fighting comes against the backdrop of resumed peace talks between government and opposition.

In Chibitoke, emergency services officials told ChimpReports that an administrative officer was killed by ‘stray bullets.’

On Friday night, Rohero 2 Avenue Mao was pounded by mortars, sending residents scampering for safety.

More fighting also occurred in Mutakura with several civilians killed, according to medics who preferred anonymity so as to speak freely.

As if this is not scary enough, a local bar in Buyenzi was attacked by gunmen, killing at least two people.

Stop fighting

Hailing the resumption of talks between the Burundian parties in Entebbe, Uganda, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged all sides to engage in constructive dialogue as renewed violence prompts fears of a relapse into the decades of civil war that killed tens of thousands of people.

“The current crisis can only be resolved through a credible and inclusive political dialogue,” said a statement issued by Mr. Ban’s spokesperson, referring to the crisis that erupted when President Pierre Nkurunziza decided to run for a controversial third term earlier this year.

Since then at least 400 people have been killed, with the toll possibly considerably higher, and 220,000 have fled to neighboring countries with many others internally displaced.

The African Union has since written to Nkurunziza to allow the deployment of an intervention force to restore stability.

However, addressing the media this week, President Nkurunziza reiterated his rejection of the AU force.

He said Burundi’s Constitution provides that a foreign force can only be deployed in his country in case of an armed conflict where there is an absence of government.

“If this AU force is deployed here, Burundi will take it as an invasion and will definitely defend herself,” said Nkurunziza.

He also promised to ensure the amendment of media laws to spell out tough penalties for sensationalism.

Ban ki-Moon urged Burundians, especially government, to remain committed and engage constructively in this critical process in order to address the deep political challenges facing the country.

“The Secretary-General reiterates his appeal to all Burundian political leaders to demonstrate the highest sense of responsibility and place peace and national reconciliation above partisan interests.”

Tags
Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker