Uganda’s Juliet Chekwel posted a timing of 2:13:13 to win the 36th edition of the annual Zurich Marathon in Seville, Spain held on Sunday February 23, 2020.
Chekwel’s success in the Marathon saw her finish ahead of the Ethiopian duo Gada Bountu and Sifan Melaku.
Bountu who finished in the second had a timing of 2:23:39 while Melaku was third with a timing of 2:23: 49.
Her triumph in the event bettered the previous one set by Gutemi Shone, who had a timing of 2:24:29 last year and beating Linet Toroitiche’s record of 2:32:26 of last year’s marathon in Hamburg, Germany.
It should be noted that Chekwel holds the women’s 10,000 meter national record that she set in 2015 in Rubin city, Italy.
Chekwel also qualified for the prestigious 2020 Olympics in Tokyo, Japan scheduled for Friday 24 July – Sunday 9 August.
Top 10 finishers
- Juliet Chekwel (Uganda) 2:23:13
- Gada Bontu (Ethiopia) 2:23:39
- Sifan Melaku (Ethiopia) 2:23:49
- Josephine Chepkoech (Kenya) 2:24:14
- Purity Changwony (Kenya) 2:24:30
- Gladys Tejeda (Peru) 2:27:07
- Beji Bekelu (Ethiopia) 2:27:50
- Melkam Gizaw (Ethiopia) 2:28:05
- Anja Scherl (Germany) 2:28:25
- Marcela Gómez (Argentina) 2:28:58
- Mekuant Ayenew (Ethiopia) 2:04:46
- Barnabas Kiptum (Kenya) 2:05:05
- Regasa Bejiga (Ethiopia) 2:06:24
- Workneh Tesfa (Ethiopia) 2:06:27
- Michael Kunyuga (Kenya) 2:06:43
- Bazu Worku (Ethiopia) 2:06:47
- Eyob Faniel (Italy) 2:07:19
- Maru Teferi (Ethiopia) 2:07:20
- Alemayehu Mekonen (Ethiopia) 2:07:23
- Javier Guerra (Spain) 2:07:28)