News

Anite Apologises Over Koboko Procession

State Minister for Investment Evelyn Anite has apologized for violating Ministry of Health guidelines on containing COVID-19 after a video last week showed hundreds of her supporters in Koboko Municipality holding a procession.

Police early this week said they had summoned Anite over the incident that has since drawn public condemnation.

But during her nomination for the Koboko Municipality parliamentary seat by the NRM Electoral Commission on Wednesday, the minister admitted that the incident was unfortunate.

“I apologise on behalf of my people that they broke Covid-19 rules and I apologize to our president and to all the citizens. This was very unfortunate,” Anite said.

She said the people held a procession because they were excited after she donated ambulances to them. Nevertheless, the minister said when she anticipated the excitement, she decided not to attend.

“When people don’t have and get such news, they get excited. Personally I followed what my president said, that when you face such a magnitude of people run away. I exactly did that. I ran away from them,” she explained.

Police in Koboko on Sunday used teargas to disperse supporters of Dr Charles Ayume, an aspirant for the Koboko Municipality Parliamentary seat. Ayume is seeking for the NRM flag, to take up a seat currently occupied by State Minister for Investment Evelyn Anite.

Hundreds of Dr Ayume’s supporters marched through the streets of Koboko town on Sunday evening challenging the Police’s failure to restrain Anite’s supporters who held a procession on Saturday, to allegedly celebration a donation of an ambulance to the municipality.

Tags
Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker