Somalia-based armed group al-Shabaab has come out claiming they were behind the attack in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi.
The terrorist group, which has previously carried out devastating attacks in the same city in the past years, claimed responsibility.
“We are currently conducting an operation in Nairobi.” the group’s military operations spokesman told Al Jazeera.
The group further confirmed their involvement in an affiliate social media account.
The attack took place at 14 Riverside Drive off Chiromo Road in Westlands, Nairobi.
Some of the pictures streaming from the incident that is suspected to be a terror attack by Al-Shabaab in 14 Riverside hotel in Westlands, Nairobi.#breakingnews #terrorattack pic.twitter.com/RgmwDLtPM3
— Kwale People Magazine (@KwalePeople) January 15, 2019
There were reports of heavy gunfire and explosion. Four cars were set ablaze in the process.
At least one car believed to belong to the attackers was left behind.
Several people were injured in the attack, and there were unconfirmed deaths.
Police spokesperson Charles Owino says the area has been cordoned off.
A contingent of security officers has been deployed to man the area around Dusit hotel.
Ambulances, security forces and firefighters are at the scene as Recce Squad officers evacuate civilians from the buildings.
In 2013 Alashabbaab fighters stormed the Westgate mall, killing at least 67 people. Later on April 2, 2015, another al-Shabab attack killed 148 people at the university in Garissa, eastern Kenya.