A tale of Pain and Resilience: How I Battled Womb Cancer

Jane K, 28, fought womb cancer for a year. She went through severe pain, lost hope but is now back on her feet.

She shares her story with ChimpReports.

I was at the university in my third year when I developed fibroids. Doctors told me that fibroids were a result of my delay in giving birth.

“The womb waits for you to conceive and when you fail to, it creates the fibroids,” he explained.

The doctor advised me to either conceive, or I go for an operation as they were many and growing on a high speed.

I opted for the latter because I had no boyfriend and wasn’t ready to become a mother yet.  

I set an appointment at Mulago hospital. After the operation, the doctor told me he couldn’t cut one of the fibroids as it looked unusual and could result in a bigger problem.

He however extracted a sample which he took for further tests.

I went back after a week only to be told the other cyst had cancer cells and the doctor told me to start the chemotherapy immediately.

I felt like my world had ended.

I went back to the hostel and cried the entire night. I didn’t know how to break the nasty news to my parents.

They sold all they had to educate me to rise and shine. I thought I was going to die.

I started getting stronger signs the next day and all I thought of was the so many dreams I was going to leave undone.

I shared the sad news with my roommate who started crying immediately. Her mother had died of the same cancer type.

“But my mum’s cancer was discovered late,” she said, adding, “yours can be healed.”

She was very supportive and escorted me to the doctor. All I wanted to know was whether I was going to die and how soon it would be. The doctor told me I would be better in six months if I started my chemotherapy immediately.

I gained the strength and called my mother who was very sad to hear the news but told me to be strong.

She travelled to Kampala and I was admitted at Mulago Referral hospital.

My condition worsened instead. I kept detoriating by the day. My stomach was swollen and I looked like a pregnant woman. The hair started falling off, something that made me cry.

I had plaited and every morning I would find piles of braids on my bed.

I never wanted to see any of my classmates because it made me feel so bad.

My parents had to sell land to buy medicine as some of it wasn’t there. I also had to register a dead year at the university but I thought I would never go back there.

When my immediate neighbor died, I was very terrified because she was strong and very active. She sometimes stood in the corridor to teach us how to eat healthy.

I even started dreaming I was dead and would wake up shouting.


After three months, I was discharged but only to be brought back after two weeks in a worse condition.

I benched in the hospital for more five months. People would come, get better others die and leave me there.

By God’s grace, after the second cycle, I started getting better and gaining my strength.

I even went back home and would go to the hospital every after two weeks for three more months.

After the third cycle, I was told I had completely healed.

Even if I registered a dead year, I was thankful God gave me a second chance. I fought hard and beat the cancer by God’s mercy.


I advise all people diagnosed with cancer to accept their condition and start medication with immediate effect to avoid it getting out of hand.

You are stronger than the cancer. Stand up and fight.

Do whatever the doctor tells you. Take the medicine in time and pray to God to keep you alive.

People taking care of cancer patients should be more patient with them as they are traumatized and need you to understand them.

Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker