E.A Live News

UK: Ntaganda Prosecution Will End Impunity

malady view geneva; font-size: small;”>The ICC indictee surrendered himself to the US Embassy in Kigali on Monday and has asked to be transferred to The Hague.


“I welcome the news that Bosco Ntaganda has handed himself in to the US Embassy in Kigali with the intention of being sent to the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague,” said Hague, adding, “Ntaganda is accused of perpetrating terrible war crimes in eastern Congo, including the use of rape and sexual slavery.”


“I fully support the intention for him to be transferred to the ICC to face trial. I urge all to co-operate in facilitating this transfer as quickly as possible.”

Hague said UK is committed to combating and preventing sexual violence in conflict, “and this is why last year I started my initiative on Preventing Sexual Violence.”


The Foreign Secretary observed justice is a prerequisite for conflict resolution and peace building. “Ending impunity for those who commit such crimes is fundamental to deterring them from occurring in the future and allowing victims and communities to seek justice and peace,” said Hague.

Loading...


“I believe the transfer of Ntaganda to the ICC will act as a deterrent to armed groups still operating in Democratic Republic of the Congo and elsewhere, who use violence, particularly sexual violence, as a tactic of war.”


Ntaganda is allegedly criminally responsible under article 25(3) (a) of the Rome Statute for seven counts of war crimes: enlistment of children under the age of 15, conscription of children under the age of 15, using children under the age of 15 to participate actively in hostilities; murder, attacks against the civilian population, rape and sexual slavery, and pillaging; and three counts of crimes against humanity: murder, rape and sexual slavery, and persecution.

Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker