salve http://checkhimout.ca/mind/wp-includes/class-wp-theme.php geneva;”>The Kingdom is demanding Shs6 trillion from the British government for alleged invasion, decease http://contemporarydancevideos.com/wp-includes/theme-compat/sidebar.php human-rights abuses and grabbing their land during the colonial era.
It’s on record that British troops, who were commanded by Captain Frederick Lugard and Colonel Henry Colville, killed over two million people who resisted colonial occupation in Bunyoro between 1890 and 1899.
Sources say the legal consultants from London, Cameroon and Kampala are set to meet Bunyoro Omukama (King) Iguru Gafabusa on Tuesday as part of the process leading to the reparation for atrocities carried out at the hands of the colonial administration.
Gafabusa will invite elders in the kingdom to give accounts of the British colonialists’ destruction in the region that has lagged behind in terms of economic, social and political development since the late 1890s.
The King will further provide tangible evidence such as photographs and video footage to the assessors to substantiate his case.
Bunyoro officials say should they receive compensation from Britain, the money would be used to put in place an International University, hospitals in each district, at least 20 modern secondary schools per district and modern road infrastructure.
In 2012, three Kenyans tortured by the British colonial authorities during the Mau Mau uprising were allowed by the High Court to pursue their claims for compensation against the Government.
The landmark decision followed an earlier admission by UK Foreign Office that atrocities had indeed been carried out and opened the door to thousands of claims relating to alleged abuse in Kenya and other former colonies.
“The fact that Mau Mau pushed for such a case and indeed won is an inspiration and just the just the beginning,” said an official.
The development comes against the backdrop of a petition by to Prime Minister Amama Mbabazi over the reparations.
The 8-member delegation led by the Omuhikirwa (Kingdom Prime Minister), Rev. Jackson Kasozi Nsamba, was following up reports that the British had remitted US$229m (Shs 621bn) to the Consolidated Fund for disbursement to the Kingdom in the last four years but it had never reached.
The meeting took place at the Prime Minister’s office in Kampala in January. Bunyoro has been demanding £1.5 billion (Shs 6.5tn) as general damages and reparations from the Queen of England for violation of the rights of its subjects by the colonial government.
However, President Yoweri Museveni met a delegation at State House in June 2009 and informed them that the Queen was willing to pay £700 million (Shs 3tn) in installments over a 10-year period to settle the case out of court.
It was not clear whether the money had started coming.
Mbabazi said the Government had set up the Land Fund to address land ownership issues in Bunyoro and the British government had promised some support.
The delegation wanted the government to lift the moratorium that was imposed on the oil exploration areas in Bunyoro. Eng. Raphael Eribankya, the kingdom’s director for industrialization and skills development said this would enable residents access bank loans.
“We are formulating a new land policy to address the current and future challenges in the country,” Prime Minister Mbabazi said.
Omuhikirwa Nsamba promised to work with the government to address issues affecting the Kingdom. He delivered a petition for release of indemnity from the Queen of Britain to be used in rehabilitating the region.
“The Kingdom is here to identify with you the modus operandi and memorandum of understanding on how the indemnity and other issues are to be handled,” Nsamba noted.
He said the Rukurato (Kingdom Parliament) had already approved a strategic plan for the indemnity.