physician http://dchnf.dk/wp-includes/update.php geneva;”>Sydney Asubo said Sam Kutesa (Foreign Affairs), John Nasasira (formerly Works and Transport) and Mwesigwa Rukutana also abused office during government’s preparation for the 2007 Commonwealth meeting in Kampala.
“Investigations in this matter are complete. So we pray that the accused be committed to the High Court for trial,” Asubo told court.
Asubo further presented a summary of evidence he intends to rely on to prosecute the ministers.
The accused will appear before the court’s registrar on September 27 for the allocation of the hearing date for their case.
Below is Asubo’s summary of evidence against the ministers.
In the National Task Force meeting held on December 20, 2005, the then Permanent Secretary Ministry of Foreign Affairs Julius Onen informed members that a consultative meeting constituted by Kutesa, Nasasira and Rukutana had been held on December 17, 2005 at Speke Resort Munyonyo in which plans to prepare Munyonyo as venue for CHOGM were discussed with the proprietor Sudhir Ruparellia.
Onen presented the outcome of the three ministers’ meeting as follows;
Government enters into a joint venture with the proprietor of Speke Resort Munyonyo. Its contribution to the development of the facilities at the venue would be converted into equity shareholding in the proposed company to be known as Munyonyo Common Wealth Resort Ltd (MCRL).
“The ministers had already decided that government would fully fund the construction of internal driveways, parking yard and rehabilitation of the marina,” Onen reported.
It is said that the Solicitor General relied on the preamble to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) explaining the joint venture (between government and Sudhir) drafted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to prepare for the MoU that was signed between government and Sudhir on March 13, 2006.
“In the Cabinet Sub-committee meeting of July 25, 2007 and chaired by President Museveni, Museveni directed that funds to be spent on all the developments at Munyonyo should be valued and turned into government shares.
This directive came much later after the government had been unlawfully committed by the three accused persons during the meeting of May 17, 2005 with Sudhir and the MoU signed on March 13, 2006,” reads in part the summary.
It is said that when Museveni’s directive was communicated to Sudhir and his company lawyer, they insisted that government was already bound under Article 4 of the MoU to meet the costs of the MoU to meet the construction.
The construction of driveways and parking was first valued at Shs8.3bn but was later varied to Shs8.88bn.
Spencon Services was awarded the contract to construct the Marina at Shs5.1bn. Prosecution shall aver and prove that the total of Shs14bn spent on the construction was not converted into equity or secured in anyway and as such it was a loss to government of Uganda.