|Ministry of Health Advisory|
|Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert: Avoid travel, parties, and events. Follow expert advice to protect your family.|
Uganda has confirmed 5 more cases of Covid19 (Corona-virus) , bringing the total number in the country to 15.
The Director General Health Services at the Ministry of Health Dr Henry Mwebesa made the announcement on Wednesday.
Among the new cases, he said, is an 8 month baby, who is believed to have picked the virus from the father.
The father, Mwebesa says, had traveled to Kisumu in Kenya. The baby was rushed to Iganga Hospital with severe flu and difficulty in breathing, and upon being tested, it turned out positive.
The ministry has so far sent a team to Iganga to take samples from this child’s family members, and ensure its proper isolation.
According to the DG, Uganda also recorded its first case involving a Ugandan that hasn’t traveled abroad.
This 57 old Ugandan businessman dealing in salt, and a resident of Adjumani. He is currently admitted at Adjumani general hospital.
“This man has not traveled abroad. He however does his business at the border with South Sudan. We also know that he had no contact with anybody positive.
The third case is a 63 year old Ugandan, and resident of Najjanankumbi who is said to have traveled to Germany, which is the world’s 6th most affected country with over 34000 cases.
This man had been under quarantine where he developed high fever, cough, sore throat and shortness of breath.
The other two cases are foreign nationals, who are part of the 6 Chinese that escaped from quarantine and tried to flee to the DRC before they were apprehended in Zombo district.
This group had traveled from Guangzhou in China.
Although these were meant to be paraded in court early this week, Junior Health Minister Hon Joyce Kaducu says this will not be happening for fear of further spread.
Meanwhile, Dr Mwebesa says the Health Ministry has so far started working on rectifying the concern of the initially provided Covid19 toll free hotline which has been hard to access.
“Our toll free line has been heavily congested and most callers couldn’t get assistance,” Mwebesa said.
“We are working with partners and some private institutions like MTN, Airtel, Maristopes and NITA-U, and so far we have increased the call center capacity to handle more calls starting this evening,” he said.
“The call center agents have been increased from 20 to 100, who will be working 24 hours.”
The numbers to call are 0800100066, 0800203033, 0800303033.