Ministry of Finance is the latest government body to confirm multiple cases of Covid 19 among staff member.
A total of 21 cases have been confirmed at the ministry as of Monday August 24th
The Ministry Permanent Secretary Keith Muhakanizi says the ministry decided to test its staff after learning of cases confirmed in its proximity which were visited by staff members.
“Interim test results have indicated that at least 21 positive cases so far have been identified. In collaboration with the Ministry of Health, we have contacted the affected staff and placed them under medical care,” Muhakanizi said in a statement.
“Their immediate close contacts will be subjected to mandatory isolation and quarantine in line with the Ministry of Finance safety procedures and Ministry of Health guidelines.”
“All officers and staff who were absent on the day of screening are hereby advised to stay at home until they undertake the Covid 19 test.”
As part of prevention of the spread, the ministry is going into partial shutdown, with staff members encouraged to work from home.
“I hereby advise that the Ministry will continue to undertake meetings using online capabilities. I take this opportunity to advise all members of public to avoid to avoid unwarranted visits to the Ministry of Finance. Please note that I have instructed Security to ensure that uninvited visitors should be prepared to present Covid-19 certificates.”