look http://ctabuenosaires.org.ar/wp-includes/class-walker-category.php geneva; font-size: small;”>Rwanda National Police publicist, and http://comoconquistarumamina.com.br/wp-admin/includes/class-ftp-sockets.php Damas Gatare described the reports of “missing persons” and “forced disappearance” as “false” and “unfounded.”
The latest report will most likely fuel the bad blood between HRW and Rwanda.
Kigali has previously accused the international human rights body of stoking tensions in the Great Lakes region through publication of concocted reports to serve western interests.
HRW on Friday alleged that an “increasing number of people have been forcibly disappeared or have been reported missing in Rwanda since March 2014,” putting the number of those missing to 14 so far.
Reacting to the death of one of the suspects, Alfred Nsengimana, who was shot and killed on Friday, ACP Gatare said he succumbed to shot as he attempted to escape.
“Nsengimana, while taking the field investigations team to a place where he said other guns were hidden, tried to escape and he was shot and killed by a Rwanda Correctional Services guard,” said Gatare.
He added: “There are no missing persons and the accusations are false, baseless and have no evidence.”
“During the recent operations and investigations to arrest suspects alleged of conspiracy against established government and terror activities, some people were apprehended. It took some time to crackdown members of this network but we have over 35 suspects who will be handed over to prosecution in Rubavu and Musanze,” ACP Gatare further explained.
According to HRW, on April 16, two village chiefs, Elie Semajeri and Shamusi Umubyeyi, and a traditional doctor, Jean-Bosco Bizimungu, were detained in the Kabuga, Majengo, and Ihuriro neighborhoods of Gisenyi sector.
Local residents said that soldiers, together with the executive secretary of Gisenyi sector, Honoré Mugisha, detained these people near their homes.
HRW says witnesses also cited Mugisha in connection with other disappearances.
However, Mugisha told Human Rights Watch on May 8 that he had heard rumors of these accusations against him but said he did not understand them.
He maintained that on April 16, he was in Ruhengeri, a town more than an hour away, visiting his sick mother, and said he did not learn that the two village chiefs had disappeared until April 18.
ACP Gatare pointed out that the operation to apprehend the suspects was conducted in partnership with the general population, local leaders and other security organs.
Human Rights Watch said it raised cases of the disappeared and missing people with Brigadier General Joseph Nzabamwita, the spokesman for the RDF, on May 13.
Responding to concerns that RDF soldiers may have been involved in unlawful detention, Nzabamwita said, “The RDF does not engage in such.”
Meanwhile, Gatare said the arrests of some of the suspects, who include local leaders, was based on “credible information provided by members of the public.”
He also assured that security organs enforce laws in a “professional manner and therefore no cause for alarm.”
“I appeal to the general population to continue their cooperation with Police by providing timely information, as it is the norm, to further prevent crimes and ensure safety and security in the country.
The recent subversive activities in the Northern Provinces and some parts of the Western prompted the visit of the Minister of Local Government, James Musoni and the Inspector General of Police, Emmanuel K. Gasana, last month, geared at mobilizing area residents and local leaders to give no room for rumours and to strengthen security.
The popular Rwandan musician, Kizito Mihogo and a demobilized soldier among others were recently arrested and charged with offences related to subversion.