Special Reports

U.S Planes Pulled out of Kony Hunt

price http://claps-sante.fr/wp-admin/includes/update.php geneva; font-size: small; line-height: 200%;”>U.S. Africa Command chief, dosage General David M, buy information pills told journalists on May 8 the planes were “temporarily” deployed in the densely forested jungles and that they would return to CAR when needed.


CV-22 Osprey planes are designed to combine the functionality of a conventional helicopter with the long-range, high-speed cruise performance of a turboprop aircraft.


“The new assets, they’re temporarily — in fact, they’ve just begun to move back out, and we’ll do it as the — the Ugandans — but, really, the African Union regional task force, which is led by the Ugandans, desires those capabilities,” said Gen Rodriguez.


“The biggest challenge that the African Union regional task force is having is light mobility, to — to get after Kony and his leaders. So we’ll — we’ll, again, support those efforts as — as required.”


It remains unclear why the aircraft were removed before the capture of Kony, whose rebellions has left a trail of bloodshed and destruction in Northern Uganda, DRC and Central African Republic.

Loading...


Asked whether the joint forces are soon closing in on Kony, Rodriguez expressed hope that the LRA is nearing total annihilation.


“For the — as far as the Lord’s Resistance Army itself, it’s really been a good success story. The defections are way up and continue to, you know, go higher. There are less of his forces that are committing the humanitarian, you know, crises that is part of that — part of his modus operandi,” said the US General.


“And then there is a huge NGO effort that has continued to take care of the people very, very effectively who were negatively impacted by Kony and his army. So I think that’s a very positive story. They continue to get weaker every day. And we’re going to continue to support the efforts of the African Union regional task force to finish this off.”


On redeploying the CV-22 Osprey planes, Gen Rodriguez said “they’re leaving now, and it’ll depend on the intelligence and the — that the African Union regional task force and their partners develop. And they’ll come back, as I said, at their request when they need it.”


Invisible Children recently reported that while the attacks seemed to subside during the last week of February and into early March, LRA activity has again spiked in the Nambia area.


On March 13, an 18-year-old Congolese man ambushed in Nambia by two armed LRA forces who had with them six children, three of whom were girls. All of these children were under 15 years old.


The assailants wore camouflage military uniforms and spoke Acholi. The LRA looted food and batteries for small electronics that the victim was carrying on his bike.

Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker