Uganda Police Force and State Minister for Information and Communication Technology Erios Ida Nantaba have commenced this week by making contradictory statements about the alleged attempted murder of the later, chimp corps writes.
On Monday, Police through the Spokesperson Fred Enanga stated that investigations into the attempted murder of Minister Ida Nantaba by a one Ronald Sebulime have stalled because she has refused to cooperate with the law enforcement body.
Mr Enanga was reacting to the minister’s accusation that “police is harboring criminal elements”.
Enanga said that it was not right for the minister to accuse police of the crime because “She’s the one who refused to cooperate.”
“We tried to reach the minister to make a statement to enable investigations, and up to now she has never appeared at police headquarters, but instead wrote her own statement and handed it to police,” said Enanga.
He added that “We still need to work together with her to get a detailed statement compared to one released to police, if you look at the statement she gave us , there is still a lot of information lacking therefore we can’t use it to build substantial leads.
Enanga also advised the minister to allow police teams get a detailed statement from her.
In the incident which was termed as a foiled attempted murder of the minister, a prime suspect identified as Ronald Sebulime was gunned down shortly after his arrest by a police officer.
The action brought mixed reactions from the public especially when police released two different statements about the incident.
Police also arrested three of its officers and charged one (David Ssali) of murder.
The President intervened and advised the minister to take a break from work and stay home where she has spent close to two months.
In her first appearance since March, Minister Nantaba in an exclusive TV interview said that police obtained a statement from her directly while at home which contradicts Mr Enanga’s earlier statement.
She also insists that the late Subilime was a contract killer who had been sent by a criminal gang to kill her.
Mr Enanga said that they retrieved PC David Ssali call data records from MTN and Airtel but it bears no support for the minister’s allegations that someone ordered Ssali to kill Sebilime.
However, the minister revealed that she has been targeted by killers on four different occasions noting one on November 2017, which she said she survived by a whisker.
She attributes her woes to a mafia gang of land grabbers who she says have vowed to kill her.
Mrs Nantaba said she reported some of them to the President and also informed him about the threats, therefore prompting the deployment of the elite SFC security agents at her residence.