Crime & Investigation

Capt. Maguru Case Takes New Twist

search geneva; font-size: small; line-height: 200%;”>Capt. Daudi Ruhinda Maguru was arrested a fortnight ago as he attempted to climb a hill behind Museveni’s tightly-guarded residence at Kyankwanzi.

website like this geneva;”>

ailment geneva;”>Upon being arrested by soldiers attached to Special Forces Command, Maguru said he intended to have a “short prayer” on the hill and that he never harboured any ill intentions.

Feeling suspicious, security drove Maguru from Kyankwanzi before detaining him at Mbuya Military Barracks on charges of trespass.

According to army spokesman, Lt Col Paddy Ankunda, Mugaru is accused of “illegal possession of military stores.”

He further elaborated that Maguru was found with military police beret yet retiring soldiers are allowed to take home only their ceremonial dress.


Asked on Thursday why Maguru has spent over two weeks in detention without trial, Ankunda said “investigations into the matter are still underway.”

Maguru, who is also a lawyer and presidential hopeful, is currently being detained at Kiira Division Police Station in Namugongo, Kampala.

Nakawa Chief Magistrate’s Court has since ordered Maguru’s release, a directive that has been disobeyed by Police authorities at Kiira Division.

Legal experts say Maguru’s prolonged detention could lead to loss of colossal sums of taxpayer’s money should he drag government to court for abuse of human rights.

Maguru in October last year declared his intentions to stand for President come 2016.

Who is Maguru?

Maguru first came to national limelight in 2010 when he filed case HCC No. 214 before the High Court, seeking an order to set aside the election of the Chairperson of the National Resistance Movement, Yoweri Museveni, who was also its presidential flag bearer.

In his petition, Maguru alleged that the Chairperson of NRM and its flag bearer could not have been elected unopposed yet he had also been duly nominated to contest for that post at Mandela National Stadium, Namboole.

Capt. Ruhinda Maguru

NRM brought forward senior party leaders including Minister Adolf Mwesige to form a five joint team to settle the matter by consensus.

It was agreed that Maguru be paid money to withdraw his petition.

The two parties further concurred that NRM party shall explore various options and put in place mechanisms that will ensure an electoral commission that is competent, independent and free from manipulation.

According to the terms agreed by both camps, the NRM party would convene an extra-ordinary National Conference, for purposes of generating consensus on key economic social and political policy issues including electing the leadership of the party, within a period of ten months after the national general elections.

The NRM party was also expected to cause a fresh election of those delegates where there will still be disputes unresolved by the time of the General Elections, by 1st August 2011.

Interestingly, NRM did not comply with these resolutions.

Disagreements also emerged on compensating Maguru. It appears NRM chiefs wanted to secure assurances Maguru would not disrupt future NRM primaries.

NRM youth League boss, Denis Namara later dragged Maguru to court, saying without the consent, authority or approval of any authority the latter unlawfully and irregularly entered into the consent judgment with the NRM under the false pretext that he was a Chairman of the Legal Committee, a non-existent organ of the National Resistance Movement.

This case was dismissed with costs by Justice Eldad Mwangusya on June 7, 2013.

Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker