Special Reports

EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS: Market Fire Riot Triggers Military Backlash

drug http://crosscon.ca/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-list-table.php geneva; font-size: small; line-height: 200%;”>Unlike in the past when the anti-riot personnel have firmly dealt with protesters, unhealthy this time dozens of trucks carrying heavily-armed military officers poured on the streets to engage the rioters.

search geneva;”>

The traders accused police of not responding in time to contain the fire that destroyed the Park Yard market at Owino/Nakivibo area today morning.

Red Cross officials rescuing a man injured in the chaos

Kampala Metropolitan Police spokesperson, Ibin Ssenkumbi says the Fire Brigade got an alert at 4:16 am before responding three minutes later.

In an interview with Chimpreports, the Chief of Fire Brigade at their headquarters in Kampala, Joseph Mugisa, applauded his men for fighting tooth and nail to put off the fire and preventing it from extending to other areas.


“We deployed more than fifteen fire tenders which helped us to prevent the fire from destroying more property including Nakivubo stadium and nearby buildings. However, the fire could not be containing from destroying property such as polythene, wood and papers,” explained Mugisa.

A man charges at military officers

During today’s clashes, the military pursued protesters in Kikuubo area, Kissekka, Nakivubo and Ben Kiwanuka Street.

Chimp Corps Kenneth Kazibwe and Michael Nteza saw two injured people being helped by Uganda Red Cross Society personnel.

With enraged crowds using stones as their weapons against security forces, anti-riot police personnel fired dozens of teargas canisters and live bullets in the air to control the situation that was fast spiraling out of control.

The military formed a cordon around the market and neighbouring buildings as anti-riot police personnel guarded fuel stations and patrolled the streets.

Military taking charge of downtown Kampala

There was tension as an unidentified military police officer tried to shoot at one of the angry traders who had hurled stones at one of the fire tenders.

Efforts to calm the officer by newly appointed Kampala South RPC James Ruhweza were futile as the soldier exhibited determination to shoot the protester.

It took the intervention of a senior officer to order the soldier off the rioter.

More teargas trucks and security forces remain on the streets.

Civilian vehicles have been restricted from roads that lead to the burnt market while buildings and arcades remain closed.

At around 10:45am, says Chimp Corp Nteza, Kampala Metropolitan Police commander, Andrew Kaweesi ordered all roads leading to Nakivubo side closed.

“Traders are trying to erect new wooden structures at the market, something police say is unacceptable. Kaweesi also urged shopkeepers in arcades to resume business,” reports Nteza.

Kaweesi explained to vendors who lost their property that investigations into the incident have commenced.

Teargas rocked Kampala today as traders battled security forces

“However, this appears to have resulted from the internal misunderstandings between leaders of the market than external factors,” he added.

Security guards who were deployed at the market will as well be investigated, according to the police chief.

An abandoned street showing stones pelted at security forces

Another unidentified injured person being carried to a waiting van

Anti-riot police personnel guarding the market

Armed military personnel disembark a truck near Owino

Arcades remained closed as security forces battled protesters

Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker