http://chopcult.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-recaptcha/include/js/images/secure.php geneva; font-size: small; line-height: 200%;”>The director of the police Criminal Investigations and Intelligence Directorate (CIID), visit http://comeandcheck.it/wp-admin/includes/ajax-actions.php Ms Grace Akullo, http://continentalagra.com/wp-includes/class-wp-admin-bar.php was quoted by Daily Monitor last week as saying more than Shs62 billion, which was part of the allocation for war veterans and victims under the Luweero-Rwenzori Development Programme, was stolen or abused.
The project was under the Office of the Prime Minister.
Chimpreports has authoritatively learnt that several senior government officials including Finance Ministry Permanent Secretary, Keith Muhakanizi, have explained to concerned higher authorities that they never sent the alleged shs60bn to OPM.
The story also angered Ministers from Luweero region, especially Rose Namayanja, who perceived it as a ploy to undermine government’s support of army veterans.
It is important to note that President Museveni has been on a countrywide tour during which he has met thousands of army veterans. Some of the districts which Museveni has toured include Buhweju, Mayuge, Kasese, Isingiro and many others.
“We are taking this report seriously. We are surprised that Akullo gave wrong information to the press when she could have taken enough time to verify it through a letter to Ministry of Finance. Saying Shs60bn has been lost sends a wrong message to the public – that this government is not fit to govern,” said a security source.
Some officials in the Military intelligence, Internal Affairs and Internal Security Organsation believe this was a move to incite veterans against the President.
“Every year, government sends shs10bn for veterans. But sometimes, due to budget cuts, it is reduced to around Shs8bn or even less. Saying Shs62bn was stolen when only shs20bn has been cleared for the veterans is not only misleading but a serious concern for security,” added a source who preferred anonymity given the sensitive nature of the subject.
President Museveni has been telling veterans that government is so interested in uplifting their plight.
It is also feared before he fled the country, Gen David Sejusa’s elements had started recruiting army veterans to oust Museveni from power.
At one time, his agents handed each veteran shs100, 000. Some had been mobilized to storm State House and Entebbe Airport should Sejusa be arrested upon his return from exile.
This compelled Museveni to embark on a nationwide tour to meet and listen the veterans especially in the Greater Luweero Triangle areas.
Museveni promised to help veterans to tackle development issues with a view to transforming Luwero region into a model zone of production to fight against household poverty.
Museveni also said that two technical institutes will be established by Government in Kyankwanzi District now that the area comprises two constituencies.
He told the gathering that it is Government policy to ensure that there is uniform development in the country and that under this arrangement; every Sub-County is to be given two primary schools and one secondary school.
The development underscores government’s failure to harmonise communication channels despite having access to modern ICT facilities.
Our informed source said “whoever leaked the false story had interests in spearheading Gen Sejusa’s projects.”
Several insiders in security and army have in recent months been grilled and others jailed for covertly backing Sejusa’s schemes.
Daily Monitor and Red Pepper which published articles on Sejusa’s classified communications were recently ransacked by secuurty forces.
Contacted by Chimpreports on Thursday, Muhakanizi said he was not aware of the Shs60bn. “I don’t know about that money. I did not even read that story so I don’t want to comment.”
Pressed to expound on the matter, Muhakanizi charged: “I am telling you I don’t know. Do you understand?”